[openstack-dev] [all] etcd3 as base service - update

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 8 08:49:16 UTC 2017

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> So just out of curiosity, but do people really even know what etcd is
> good for? I am thinking that there should be some guidance from folks in
> the community as to where etcd should be used and where it shouldn't
> (otherwise we just all end up in a mess).
>
> Perhaps a good idea to actually give examples of how it should be used,
> how it shouldn't be used, what it offers, what it doesn't... Or at least
> provide links for people to read up on this.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that's a great idea. More generally, we should document base
services, the benefits of each tech, and what data should be in
database, what data should be in a message queue, and what data should
be in etcd. It feels like the Project Team Guide could be a place where
such information could live...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)