[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] [ndb] ndb namespace throughout openstack projects

Michael Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 00:05:13 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad you brought this up, Mike. I was going to start a thread about this.
> Comments inline.
>
> On 07/23/2017 05:02 PM, Michael Bayer wrote:
> Well, besides that point (which I agree with), that is attempting to change
> an existing database schema migration, which is a no-no in my book ;)

OK this point has come up before and I always think there's a bit of
an over-broad kind of purism being applied (kind of like when someone
says, "never use global variables ever!" and I say, "OK so sys.modules
is out right ?" :)  ).

I agree with "never change a migration" to the extent that you should
never change the *SQL steps emitted for a database migration*.  That
is, if your database migration emitted "ALTER TABLE foobar foobar
foobar" on a certain target databse, that should never change.   No
problem there.

However, what we're doing here is adding new datatype logic for the
NDB backend which are necessarily different; not to mention that NDB
requires more manipulation of constraints to make certain changes
happen.  To make all that work, the *Python code that emits the SQL
for the migration* needs to have changes made, mostly (I would say
completely) in the form of new conditionals for NDB-specific concepts.
   In the case of the datatypes, the migrations will need to refer to
a SQLAlchemy type object that's been injected with the ndb-specific
logic when the NDB backend is present; I've made sure that when the
NDB backend is *not* present, the datatypes behave exactly the same as
before.

So basically, *SQL steps do not change*, but *Python code that emits
the SQL steps* necessarily has to change to accomodate for when the
"ndb" flag is present - this because these migrations have to run on
brand new ndb installations in order to create the database.   If Nova
and others did the initial "create database" without using the
migration files and instead used a create_all(), things would be
different, but that's not how things work (and also it is fine that
the migrations are used to build up the DB).

There is also the option to override the compilation for the base
SQLAlchemy String type does so that no change at all would be needed
to consuming projects in this area, but it seems like there is a need
to specify ndb-specific length arguments in some cases so keeping the
oslo_db-level API seems like it would be best.  (Note that the ndb
module in oslo_db *does* instrument the CreateTable construct globally
however, though it is very careful not to be involved unless the ndb
flag is present).