[openstack-dev] [doc] dropping "draft" and series-specific publishing for docs.o.o

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jul 20 19:11:57 UTC 2017

Docs team,

We have two sets of changes happening in openstack-manuals that
will simplify managing the content there, and that will .

Over the last couple of weeks we have removed several guides from
the repository. The remaining guides are not version-specific, which
allows us stop creating stable branches of that repository. We will
continue to publish from stable/newton and stable/ocata for as long
as those versions of the guides are supported.

I am also preparing a series to patches [1] to rearrange some of
the template pages to let us publish directly from master to docs.o.o,
without using a separate "draft" directory that requires special
effort at the end of a release cycle. When the series is approved
(specifically when [2] lands), changes approved in the master branch
will go live on the site within an hour or so of merging. They will
no longer be published to the /drafts folder.

Both of these are changes to the current process, so we wanted to
ensure that all contributors (and especially reviewers) were aware
of the changes. Please keep this in mind when approving future
changes.

The last patch in the series [3] updates the instructions for the
end-of-release process based on these changes. I want to make sure
these instructions are clear so that someone other than me can
perform the steps, so I need your feedback on that patch especially.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/openstack-manuals+topic:doc-migration/no-more-drafts
[2] https://review.openstack.org/484971
[3] https://review.openstack.org/485789