[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-docs] [doc] dropping "draft" and series-specific publishing for docs.o.o

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Jul 20 19:53:56 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-20 21:11, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Docs team,
>
> We have two sets of changes happening in openstack-manuals that
> will simplify managing the content there, and that will .
>
> Over the last couple of weeks we have removed several guides from
> the repository. The remaining guides are not version-specific, which
> allows us stop creating stable branches of that repository. We will
> continue to publish from stable/newton and stable/ocata for as long
> as those versions of the guides are supported.

The only guide that *was* version specific and is still around is the
Install Guide. But we moved all OpenStack content out and left only the
generic content in. I think we can just keep this unversioned and add
version specific instructions where needed like "If you use Queens, ...".

So, let's change the Install Guide to be unversioned and get rid of
branching!

> I am also preparing a series to patches [1] to rearrange some of
> the template pages to let us publish directly from master to docs.o.o,
> without using a separate "draft" directory that requires special
> effort at the end of a release cycle. When the series is approved
> (specifically when [2] lands), changes approved in the master branch
> will go live on the site within an hour or so of merging. They will
> no longer be published to the /drafts folder.
>
> Both of these are changes to the current process, so we wanted to
> ensure that all contributors (and especially reviewers) were aware
> of the changes. Please keep this in mind when approving future
> changes.
>
> The last patch in the series [3] updates the instructions for the
> end-of-release process based on these changes. I want to make sure
> these instructions are clear so that someone other than me can
> perform the steps, so I need your feedback on that patch especially.

thanks a lot for driving all of this, Doug! I really like the way where
this goes,

Andreas