[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova] Persistent application credentials

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jul 20 02:00:18 UTC 2017

On 19/07/17 01:23, Colleen Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com
> <mailto:zbitter at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     So the application credentials spec has merged - huge thanks to
>     Monty and the Keystone team for getting this done:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450415/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450415/>
>     http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/pike/application-credentials.html
>     <http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/pike/application-credentials.html>
>
>     However, it appears that there was a disconnect in how two groups
>     of folks were reading the spec that only became apparent towards
>     the end of the process. Specifically, at this exact moment:
>
>     http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone/%23openstack-keystone.2017-06-09.log.html#t2017-06-09T17:43:59
>     <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone/%23openstack-keystone.2017-06-09.log.html#t2017-06-09T17:43:59>
>
>     To summarise, Keystone folks are uncomfortable with the idea of
>     application credentials that share the lifecycle of the project
>     (rather than the user that created them), because a consumer could
>     surreptitiously create an application credential and continue to
>     use that to access the OpenStack APIs even after their User
>     account is deleted. The agreed solution was to delete the
>     application credentials when the User that created them is
>     deleted, thus tying the lifecycle to that of the User.
>
>     This means that teams using this feature will need to audit all of
>     their applications for credential usage and rotate any credentials
>     created by a soon-to-be-former team member *before* removing said
>     team member's User account, or risk breakage. Basically we're
>     relying on users to do the Right Thing (bad), but when they don't
>     we're defaulting to breaking [some of] their apps over leaving
>     them insecure (all things being equal, good).
>
>     Unfortunately, if we do regard this as a serious problem, I don't
>     think this solution is sufficient. Assuming that application
>     credentials are stored on VMs in the project for use by the
>     applications running on them, then anyone with access to those
>     servers can obtain the credentials and continue to use them even
>     if their own account is deleted. The solution to this is to rotate
>     *all* application keys when a user is deleted. So really we're
>     relying on users to do the Right Thing (bad), but when they don't
>     we're defaulting to breaking [some of] their apps *and*
>     [potentially] leaving them insecure (worst possible combination).
>
>     (We're also being inconsistent, because according to the spec if
>     you revoke a role from a User then any application credentials
>     they've created that rely on that role continue to work. It's only
>     if you delete the User that they're revoked.)
>

>     As far as I can see, there are only two solutions to the
>     fundamental problem:
>
>     1) Fine-grained user-defined access control. We can minimise the
> [...]
While I understand worries behind these security problems, I'd like to
add they they aren't really our problem. They can't be solved with code
on our end. These are procedural problems, and this problem persists in
any organisation, in any form of shared user passwords, in any form of
automation. If an application credential is created for a service
used/maintained by a team, there is nothing stopping anyone from the
team from storing that key elsewhere regardless of who created it,
because once created, that key is in the 'shared' team domain where
anyone can see it, exactly as Colleen points out. If it wasn't shared
with more than one person, then it's useless since it means the service
using the key itself would entirely have to be maintained/controlled by
that one person and no one else would have access. Teams don't work like
that.

The problem is then entirely procedural within a team. Do they rotate
all keys when one person leaves? Anything less is the same problem. All
we can do is make rotation less of a pain, but it will still be painful
no matter what, and depending on the situation the team makes the choice
of how to handle rotation if at all.

The sole reason for project level ownership of these application
credentials is so that a user leaving/being deleted isn't a scramble to
replace keys, and a team has the option/time to do it if they care about
the possibility of that person having known the keys (again, not our
problem, not a security flaw in code). Anything else, pretty much makes
this feature useless for teams. :(

Having both options (owned by project vs user) is useful, but the
'security issues' are kind of implied by using project owned app creds.
It's a very useful feature with some 'use at your own risk' attached.