[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova] Persistent application credentials

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Tue Jul 18 13:23:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> So the application credentials spec has merged - huge thanks to Monty and
> the Keystone team for getting this done:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450415/
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/
> keystone/pike/application-credentials.html
>
> However, it appears that there was a disconnect in how two groups of folks
> were reading the spec that only became apparent towards the end of the
> process. Specifically, at this exact moment:
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone
> /%23openstack-keystone.2017-06-09.log.html#t2017-06-09T17:43:59
>
> To summarise, Keystone folks are uncomfortable with the idea of
> application credentials that share the lifecycle of the project (rather
> than the user that created them), because a consumer could surreptitiously
> create an application credential and continue to use that to access the
> OpenStack APIs even after their User account is deleted. The agreed
> solution was to delete the application credentials when the User that
> created them is deleted, thus tying the lifecycle to that of the User.
>
> This means that teams using this feature will need to audit all of their
> applications for credential usage and rotate any credentials created by a
> soon-to-be-former team member *before* removing said team member's User
> account, or risk breakage. Basically we're relying on users to do the Right
> Thing (bad), but when they don't we're defaulting to breaking [some of]
> their apps over leaving them insecure (all things being equal, good).
>
> Unfortunately, if we do regard this as a serious problem, I don't think
> this solution is sufficient. Assuming that application credentials are
> stored on VMs in the project for use by the applications running on them,
> then anyone with access to those servers can obtain the credentials and
> continue to use them even if their own account is deleted. The solution to
> this is to rotate *all* application keys when a user is deleted. So really
> we're relying on users to do the Right Thing (bad), but when they don't
> we're defaulting to breaking [some of] their apps *and* [potentially]
> leaving them insecure (worst possible combination).
>
> (We're also being inconsistent, because according to the spec if you
> revoke a role from a User then any application credentials they've created
> that rely on that role continue to work. It's only if you delete the User
> that they're revoked.)
>

> As far as I can see, there are only two solutions to the fundamental
> problem:
>
> 1) Fine-grained user-defined access control. We can minimise the set of
> things that the application credentials are authorised to do. That's out of
> scope for this spec, but something we're already planning as a future
> enhancement.
> 2) Automated regular rotation of credentials. We can make sure that
> whatever a departing team member does manage to hang onto quickly becomes
> [...]

I agree that in the haste of getting this approved before the spec freeze
deadline we took this in the wrong direction. I think that this spec was
fine before the addition of "Will be deleted when the associated User is
deleted" constraint.

As I understand it, the worry coming from the team is that a user who
sneakily copies the secret keys to an offsite location before their user is
deleted will still have access to the resources the credential had access
to. This worry is irrational for two reasons:

1) Once the application credential is created, it is going to be shared
with the whole team. Therefore if ANY member of the team is deleted,
whether or not they were the one to create the credential, they could still
have copied this key and still gain access to those resources after their
user was terminated. Tying the lifecycle of the credential to its creating
user does nothing to prevent other teammates from regaining this access.

2) The ability to rotate the secret, whether it's automated or not, is
already an infinitely better situation than where we currently are, which
is that a user must live forever and share their personal passwords with
the whole team in order to keep applications running. We can encourage
immediate credential rotation upon user termination and provide helpful
tooling and perhaps Heat integration, but even without all of that it's
still better than forcing users to share their passwords with one another
and being unable to delete users who have left the organization.

I'm supportive of revising the spec to undo this constraint.

Colleen