[openstack-dev] [glance][nova] Examples of how to set --block-device for disk passthrough to guest

Lawrence J. Albinson lawrence at ljalbinson.com
Wed Jul 12 15:41:30 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to pass through a raw local disk from the hypervisor to one of its guests under openstack.

I have read https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Raw-device-mapping-support which seems to address my requirement.

I have done the first step, namely:

     glance image-update --property hw_scsi_model=virtio-scsi <image-id>

and the image seems to work and reflect the change in the libvirt XML.

What I cannot find (with apologies if I haven't looked hard enough) is examples of how to set the --block-device parameters for 'nova boot' / 'openstack server create'.

As ever, any help would be very gratefully received.

Kind regards, Lawrence

Lawrence J Albinson