[openstack-dev] [Glare][TC] Application for inclusion of Glare in the list of official projects

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:20:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 1:43 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 07/10/2017 04:31 PM, Mikhail Fedosin wrote:
>
>> Thank you for asking this! It's really very important and interesting, so
>> I'm going to explain those things more detailed.
>>
>> First, when we designed Glare, we kept in mind the compatibility with
>> Glance, and I can tell that Glance data from the database can be ported to
>> Glare with a simple script without any loss.
>>
>> Second, APIs are very similar and map 1:1. The only one big difference is
>> that user has to perform activation manually after image file is uploaded.
>> I created a small table with the most popular API requests. You may notice
>> how similar both APIs are: https://docs.google.com/docume
>> nt/d/18Tqad0NUPyFfHUo1KMr6bDDISpQtzacvZtEQIGhNkf4/edit?usp=sharing
>> Other changes are rather cosmetic. For instance, "queued" image status
>> was renamed to "drafted".
>>
>> Third, all these changes can be hidden in Glare client. So if we try a
>> little, we can achieve 100% compatibility there, and other projects can use
>> Glare client instead of Glance's without even noticing the differences.
>>

> I think we should definitely not do this... I think instead, if we decide
> to go down this road, we want to look at adding an endpoint to glare that
> speaks glance v2 API so that users can have a transition period while
> libraries and tools get updated to understand the artifacts API.

This is optional and depends on the project developers. For my part, I can
only offer the most compatible client, so that the Glance module can be
simply copied into the new Glare module.

> If projects use Glance without client, it means that some direct API
>> requests will need to be rewritten. But in any case, the number of
>> differences between Glance v1 and Glance v2 was much larger, and we
>> switched pretty smoothly. So I hope everything will be fine here, too.
>>

> v1 vs v2 is still a major headache for end users. I don't think it's ok
> for us to do that to our users again if we can help it.
>
> However, as you said, conceptually the calls are very similar so making an
> API controller that can be registered in the catalog as "image" should be
> fairly easy to do, no?

Indeed, the interfaces are almost identical. And all the differences were
made on purpose.

For example, deactivating an image in Glance looks like *POST*
/v2/images/{image_id}/actions/deactivate with empty body.
At one time, Chris Dent advised us to avoid such decisions, and simply
change the status of the artifact to 'deactivated' using *PATCH*, which we
did.