[openstack-dev] [heat][mistral][deployment] how to add deployment roles

Dan Trainor dtrainor at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 01:53:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Dan Trainor <dtrainor at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I'm looking for the glue that populates the overcloud role list.
> >
> > I can get a list of roles via 'openstack overcloud role list', however
> I'm
> > looking to create new roles to incorporate in to this list.
> >
> > I got as far as using 'mistral action-update' against what I beleive to
> be
> > the proper action (tripleo.role.list) but am not sure what to use as the
> > source of what I would be updating, not am I  finding any information
> about
> > how that runs and where it gets its data from.  I also had a nice
> exercise
> > pruning the output of 'mistral action-*' commands which was pretty
> > insightful and helped me hone in on what I was looking for, but still
> > uncertain of.
> >
> > Pretty sure I'm missing a few details along the way here, too.
> >
> > Can someone please shed some light on this so I can have a better
> > understanding of the process?
> >

> Sorry for the delay in replying (pto). The overcloud roles actions
> operate on a folder. By default this is
> /usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/roles. However it does
> provide a command line parameter to change this folder to where ever
> you would like to keep your custom roles.  The docs around this are
> currently up for review[0] but we do have an existing readme in the
> roles folder[1] that has some of this information.  The plan is to
> eventually allow for some mistral actions around roles, but we
> probably won't have that until later.  Right now this is purely a
> tripleoclient function.
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex

> [1] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/
> master/roles/README.rst

Alex -

Thanks so much for the reply.  The documentation is spot-on and provides a
great introduction to role manipulation for Overcloud deployment.

Now that I have a better context for what I'm trying to ask, I think I want
to clarify that my request is more in line with the role types that are
available for assignment prior to deployment.

In the TripleO UI, several Roles are available for assigning nodes:  Block
Storage, Ceph Storage, Compute, Controller, and Object Storage.

My goal is to create an additional role for assignment in this dialogue.  I
understand now, based on your feedback and that of Steve Hardy, I can
manipulate roles per the Overcloud deployment.  However, I'm interested in
manipulating the list of roles that are available for assignment per the
UI.  I was hoping the UI was aligned close enough with tripleoclient to
provide a straight-forward interface for this, but I may be wrong.

This might be one for the UI guys.  I'll start pinging them in their
timezone.  But in the mean time if you have any suggestions, I would
appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
-dant