[openstack-dev] [heat][mistral][deployment] how to add deployment roles

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 14:08:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Dan Trainor <dtrainor at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm looking for the glue that populates the overcloud role list.
>
> I can get a list of roles via 'openstack overcloud role list', however I'm
> looking to create new roles to incorporate in to this list.
>
> I got as far as using 'mistral action-update' against what I beleive to be
> the proper action (tripleo.role.list) but am not sure what to use as the
> source of what I would be updating, not am I  finding any information about
> how that runs and where it gets its data from.  I also had a nice exercise
> pruning the output of 'mistral action-*' commands which was pretty
> insightful and helped me hone in on what I was looking for, but still
> uncertain of.
>
> Pretty sure I'm missing a few details along the way here, too.
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this so I can have a better
> understanding of the process?

Sorry for the delay in replying (pto). The overcloud roles actions
operate on a folder. By default this is
/usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/roles. However it does
provide a command line parameter to change this folder to where ever
you would like to keep your custom roles.  The docs around this are
currently up for review[0] but we do have an existing readme in the
roles folder[1] that has some of this information.  The plan is to
eventually allow for some mistral actions around roles, but we
probably won't have that until later.  Right now this is purely a
tripleoclient function.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476236/