[openstack-dev] [zun] Some general ZUN use case / drivers type questions
Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Thu Jul 6 15:48:37 UTC 2017
Apologize I have some ‘newbie’ questions on zun.
I have looked a bit at zun ... a few slide decks and a few summit presentation videos.
I am somewhat familiar with old container orchestration attempts in openstack ... nova and heat.
And somewhat familiar with Magnum for COEs on VMs.
- in long term, will ZUN manage containers hosted by OpenStack VMs or OpenStack Hosts or both ?
o I think the answer is both, and
o I think technically ZUN will manage the containers in OpenStack VM(s) or OpenStack Host(s), thru a COE
§ where the COE is kubernetes, swarm, mesos ... or, initially, some very simple default COE provided by ZUN itself.
- what is currently supported in MASTER ?
- in the scenario where ZUN is managing containers thru Kubernetes directly on OpenStack Host(s)
o I believe the intent is that,
at the same time, and on the same OpenStack Host(s),
NOVA is managing VMs on the OpenStack Host(s)
o ??? Has anyone started to look at the Resource Management / Arbitration of the OpenStack Host’s Resources,
between ZUN and NOVA ???
- again, in the scenario where ZUN is managing containers thru Kubernetes directly on OpenStack Host(s)
- what are the Technical Pros / Cons of this approach, relative to using OpenStack VM(s) ?
§ ??? does this really use less resources than the VM Scenario ???
· is there an example you can walk me thru ?
§ I suppose that instead of pre-allocating resources to a fairly large VM for hosting containers,
you would only use the resources for the containers that are actually launched,
§ for application containers, you are restricted by the OS running on the OpenStack Host,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev