[openstack-dev] [zun] Some general ZUN use case / drivers type questions

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Thu Jul 6 15:48:37 UTC 2017

Apologize I have some ‘newbie’ questions on zun.
I have looked a bit at zun ... a few slide decks and a few summit presentation videos.
I am somewhat familiar with old container orchestration attempts in openstack ... nova and heat.
And somewhat familiar with Magnum for COEs on VMs.

Question 1:

-          in long term, will ZUN manage containers hosted by OpenStack VMs or OpenStack Hosts or both ?

o    I think the answer is both, and

o    I think technically ZUN will manage the containers in OpenStack VM(s) or OpenStack Host(s), thru a COE

§  where the COE is kubernetes, swarm, mesos ... or, initially, some very simple default COE provided by ZUN itself.

Question 2:
-          what is currently supported in MASTER ?

Question 3:
-          in the scenario where ZUN is managing containers thru Kubernetes directly on OpenStack Host(s)
o    I believe the intent is that,
at the same time, and on the same OpenStack Host(s),
NOVA is managing VMs on the OpenStack Host(s)
o    ??? Has anyone started to look at the Resource Management / Arbitration of the OpenStack Host’s Resources,
       between ZUN and NOVA ???

Question 4:
-          again, in the scenario where ZUN is managing containers thru Kubernetes directly on OpenStack Host(s)
-          what are the Technical Pros / Cons of this approach, relative to using OpenStack VM(s) ?
o    PROs
§  ??? does this really use less resources than the VM Scenario ???
·         is there an example you can walk me thru ?
§  I suppose that instead of pre-allocating resources to a fairly large VM for hosting containers,
you would only use the resources for the containers that are actually launched,
o    CONs
§  for application containers, you are restricted by the OS running on the OpenStack Host,

Greg.
WIND RIVER
Titanium Cloud