[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Wiki

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 3 14:29:59 UTC 2017

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 03/07/17 13:58 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Flavio Percoco wrote:
>>> Sometimes I wonder if we still need to maintain a Wiki. I guess some
>>> projects still use it but I wonder if the use they make of the Wiki
>>> could be moved
>>> somewhere else.
>>>
>>> For example, in the TC we use it for the Agenda but I think that
>>> could be moved
>>> to an etherpad. Things that should last forever should be documented
>>> somewhere
>>> (project repos, governance repo in the TC case) where we can actually
>>> monitor
>>> what goes in and easily clean up.
>>
>> This is a complete tangent, but I'll bite :) We had a thorough
>> discussion about that last year, summarized at:
>>
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/096481.html
>>
>> TL,DR; was that while most authoritative content should (and has been
>> mostly) moved off the wiki, it's still useful as a cheap publication
>> platform for teams and workgroups, somewhere between a git repository
>> with a docs job and an etherpad.
>>
>> FWIW the job of migrating authoritative things off the wiki is still
>> on-going. As an example, Thingee is spearheading the effort to move the
>> "How to Contribute" page and other first pointers to a reference website
>> (see recent thread about that).
>
> I guess the short answer is that we hope one day we won't need it. I
> certainly
> do.
>
> What would happen if we make the wiki read-only? Would that break peopl's
> workflow?
>
> Do we know what teams modify the wiki more often and what it is they do
> there?

The data is publicly available (see recent changes on the wiki). Most
ops workgroups heavily rely on the wiki, as well as a significant number
of upstream project teams and workgroups. Developers are clearly not the
main target.

You can dive back into the original analysis etherpad if you're interested:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wiki-use-cases

Things that are stroked out are things we moved to reference websites
since then.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)