[openstack-dev] [tripleo] CI Squad Meeting Summary (week 5)

Attila Darazs adarazs at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 12:37:56 UTC 2017

In the spirit of "better late than never", here's a summary of our CI
Squad meeting.

Time: Thursdays, 15:30-16:30 UTC
Place: https://bluejeans.com/4113567798/

Configuration management in TripleO CI
======================================

There was a design meeting organized by Gabrielle (thanks!) to discuss
how to solve the problem of configuring the new Quickstart jobs.

There are multiple approaches for this problem, and it's difficult to
find a balance from having a single definite config file per job (too
much duplication) to parsing the job name and handling every option with
coding logic in the testing system (hard to reproduce/know what's
happening).

What emerged from the still ongoing discussion is identifying three
config sections:

* provisioner: e.g. libvirt, OVB or nodepool based jobs and the related
configution to allow quickstart to work on these systems
* release: one config file for release, config/release (we already have
these)
* config: one config file for general config, config/general_config

It seems useful to give a neutral name for a certain set of
functionalities tested in certain CI jobs instead of the misleading
names of "ha/nonha" (when in fact they test a lot more). "featureset01",
"featureset02", etc. looks like a good candidate for naming them.

So we could end up with jobs like "tripleo-ovb-featureset01-newton",
with the featureset matrix documented somewhere like tripleo-ci.

Smaller topics
==============

* Both the OVB and nodepool jobs are working apart from generic setbacks
like the python-pandas issue breaking our jobs.

* Our blocker/bottleneck for transition is now the above discussed
configuration management.

* The "Quickstart transition checklist" is now hosted on google docs
here[1].

* We are having trouble keeping track of the issues in upstream CI.
Using an invidual trello board instead of the current etherpad was
suggested. We're going to try this solution out this week and post updates.

* Emilien mentioned the new additonal composable upgrades testing in
TripelO CI[2].

* We had a bug triage/squashing event last Friday. Started moving bugs
from the "tripleo-quickstart" project to "tripleo" and tag them as
ci/quickstart, to ease the scheduling of bugs.

* Also managed to make a big improvment on the tripleo-quickstart bug
count, going from 65 open bugs to 42, and from 37 new bugs to 21.

Full meeting minutes can be found here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ci-squad-meeting

Best regards,
Attila