[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Officially support Python 3.5 in Pike

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 17:17:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> OpenStack community decided to officially support Python 3.5 by the
> end of Pike cycle:
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/pike/python35.html
>
> To track this work in TripleO, I created a blueprint:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/support-python-35
>
> I'm also tracking the work completion in the governance repository:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/424857/
>
> I'll start the evaluation of work that needs to be done and document
> it in the previous link.
> Anyone volunteer to help on $topic is very welcome, ping me on IRC or
> here by e-mail.

I had a chat with Victor Stinner who has been involved in porting
Python 3 in OpenStack for years now.
Here's the list of actions:

- we need to evaluate if all TripleO projects (written in Python) have
unit tests jobs for Python 3.
- for those that do not have, create them (non voting) and see how
they work. If blockers, fix them.
- investigate how to run integration tests in Python3 (probably for
tripleoclient & tripleo-common as a start).
- investigate if all TripleO projects are packaged in RDO with Python 3.
- update https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3 with TripleO projects
& their status in Python 3.

Because this is some work, I propose we create a squad:
https://review.openstack.org/425294

Anyone is welcome to join & participate in this effort.
Emilien Macchi