[openstack-dev] [keystone] [ptl] PTL candidacy for Pike

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:33:57 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I want to run for keystone PTL to facilitate an environment for others to
grow and make meaningful changes so that we continue to build keystone into
a more stable, scalable and performant project [0].

January marks my fifth anniversary working with OpenStack. In that time
I've had the opportunity to participate in a variety of different roles
from development to deployment. Being exposed to such a fast-paced
open-source project has made profound impacts on how I approach everyday
challenges.

Joining the OpenStack community was a daunting task, there was a staggering
amount of information to absorb. Fortunately, the community was so
welcoming that learning was a huge reward. I feel the community, and the
keystone team in particular, still maintains this camaraderie. This is
something I'd like to continue when serving as PTL.

Over the last few years I have worked on various keystone initiatives. I
co-implemented support for Fernet tokens, which results in keystone being
more scalable and performant. As of the Ocata release, Fernet tokens are
the default token format providing scalability out-of-the-box. This helped
spur an effort I led to refactor keystone's token API to make it simpler
and easier to maintain. I automated the ability to performance test patches
in review against master and publish the delta as a comment on review,
providing reviewers with a performance-related datapoint. Lately I've been
focused on organizing cross-project efforts to address gaps in policy
across OpenStack. Those are only a couple recent examples I'm proud of. I
actively try to take some experience or lesson from every interaction I
have with the community and add it to my repertoire.

As PTL, I would like to continue building an environment that enables and
inspires people to contribute. We still have many goals to work towards,
and it will never be completed by a single person. Building a community
around trust and transparency will yield consistent, measurable results. I
think the keystone community has done a great job of this so far and I want
to accelerate that trend.

I would like to continue improving the overall usability of policy across
OpenStack, which will benefit users and deployers significantly. I will
continue to push for federated identity to be a first class resource. I
believe it should absolutely be a natural extension of keystone for both
deployers and users. I will continue to keep performance at the forefront
of our goals. I will continue to be an advocate for cross-project
communication. I will lead an effort to dedicate one day per week to office
hours, where we triage and attempt to close bugs. This will serve as a
great way to grow our community and keep tabs on our bug queue.

My long-term vision for keystone allows deployers the flexibility to
address real-world use cases across a variety of deployments while
providing consistent user-experience and stability. To do that we're going
to have to solve some hard problems around policy, federation,
upgradability, etc. But, we've solved hard problems before. The following
are a few things I'd like to focus on in Pike:

   -

   Introduce better granularity for RBAC support using keystone, and
   leading by example
   -

   Continue improving functional testing
   -

   Continue making experiences with federation seamless and intuitive
   -

   Continue to support rolling upgrades
   -

   Help guide work to implement rolling upgrade testing to achieve the
   rolling upgrade tag
   -

   Continuing our work from the last few cycles to promote usage of the V3
   API everywhere

Some personal goals of mine as a PTL would be to:

   -

   Facilitate collaboration by encouraging break out work and sprints
   -

   Add more communication tools to our toolbox by actively looking for new
   ways to share ideas
   -

   Ensure our discussions, decisions, and outcomes are easily discoverable
   and thoroughly communicated
   -

   Build upon the established pattern of having dedicated roles for design
   discussions (i.e. moderator, champion, scribe) to ensure we have
   meaningful, productive discussions that are accurately captured
   -

   Actively look for opportunities to mentor or collaborate with new and
   existing team members
   -

   Promote an environment where we can learn from failed attempts and
   iterate to find more robust solutions

Finally I want to say thanks for taking time out of your day to parse this
note. I'm excited to get started on Pike regardless of the election
results. I look forward to seeing you all in Atlanta!

Best Regards,

Lance

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/422805/