[openstack-dev] [TC][Glance][Nova][TripleO][Heat][Mistral][Ironic][Murano] Glare

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jan 18 18:30:23 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Mikhail Fedosin's message of 2017-01-18 19:54:01 +0300:
> Hello!
>
> In this letter I want to tell you the current status of Glare project and
> discuss its future development within the entire OpenStack community.
>
> In the beginning I have to say a few words about myself - my name is Mike
> and I am the PTL of Glare. Currently I work as a consultant at Nokia, where
> we're developing the service as a universal catalog of binary data. As I
> understand it right, Nokia has big plans for this service, Moshe Elisha can
> tell you more about them.
>
> And here I want to ask the community - how exactly Glare may be useful in
> OpenStack? Glare was developed as a repository for all possible data types,
> and it has many possible applications. For example, it's a storage of vm
> images for Nova. Currently Glance is used for this, but Glare has much more
> features and this transition is easy to implement. Then it's a storage of

Is there actually an upgrade path today, or is that something someone
would have to build?

> Tosca templates. We were discussing integration with Heat and storing
> templates and environments in Glare, also it may be interesting for TripleO
> project. Mistral will store its workflows in Glare, it has already been
> decided. I'm not sure if Murano project is still alive, but they already
> use Glare 0.1 from Glance repo and it will be removed soon (in Pike afaik),
> so they have no other options except to start using Glare v1. Finally there
> were rumors about storing torrent files from Ironic.

Glare is not currently an official project, and it seems to have
very few contributors during the Ocata time frame. Do either of
those things concern any of the project teams considering adding
it as a dependency? Do you have plans to address those?

Doug