[openstack-dev] [TC][Glance][Nova][TripleO][Heat][Mistral][Ironic][Murano] Glare

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:08:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> Excerpts from Mikhail Fedosin's message of 2017-01-18 19:54:01 +0300:
> > Hello!
> >
> > In this letter I want to tell you the current status of Glare project and
> > discuss its future development within the entire OpenStack community.
> >
> > In the beginning I have to say a few words about myself - my name is Mike
> > and I am the PTL of Glare. Currently I work as a consultant at Nokia,
> where
> > we're developing the service as a universal catalog of binary data. As I
> > understand it right, Nokia has big plans for this service, Moshe Elisha
> can
> > tell you more about them.
> >
> > And here I want to ask the community - how exactly Glare may be useful in
> > OpenStack? Glare was developed as a repository for all possible data
> types,
> > and it has many possible applications. For example, it's a storage of vm
> > images for Nova. Currently Glance is used for this, but Glare has much
> more
> > features and this transition is easy to implement. Then it's a storage of
>
> Is there actually an upgrade path today, or is that something someone
> would have to build?

We're discussing it with Glance community. Today there will be an IRC
meeting and I'll present my plans there.

> > Tosca templates. We were discussing integration with Heat and storing
> > templates and environments in Glare, also it may be interesting for
> TripleO
> > project. Mistral will store its workflows in Glare, it has already been
> > decided. I'm not sure if Murano project is still alive, but they already
> > use Glare 0.1 from Glance repo and it will be removed soon (in Pike
> afaik),
> > so they have no other options except to start using Glare v1. Finally
> there
> > were rumors about storing torrent files from Ironic.
>
> Glare is not currently an official project, and it seems to have
> very few contributors during the Ocata time frame. Do either of
> those things concern any of the project teams considering adding
> it as a dependency? Do you have plans to address those?

Absolutely correct observation! Unfortunately there was a hitch in the
service development caused by problems in the organization of my previous
employer. Now I try again to put the project on the right track. At least
Nokia will use Glare in production and allocates two people on it. In
addition, I received a notice from a few people who are interested in
contribution in Glare, I'll call some of them:

Geetika Batra from Red Hat
Dharini Chandrasekar from Intel
Darja Malyavkina, independent
Danil Golov from Samsung
Kairat Kushaev from Mirantis
Hemanth Makkapati from Rackspace

I think we should ask them to confirm their agreements in this thread.

Finally I'm going to announce that we'll apply under Big Tent till the end
of January.