[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:30:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:
> So I don't want to start to much of a flame-war and am really just trying to
> understand things that may be beyond me (so treat me nicely, ha).
>
> The basic question that I've been wondering revolves around the following
> kind of 'thought experiment' that asks something along the lines of:
>
> """
> If I am a user of openstack, say I'm an iphone developer, trying to get my
> 'game' and associated 'game APIs' setup in a manner that is HA (say fronted
> by a load-balancer), using my custom image, secure and visible to either an
> intranet or to the large internet then what is the steps I would have to do
> when interacting with openstack to accomplish this and what would the
> provider of openstack have to give to me as endpoints to make this possible.
> """

Presumably this is a public OpenStack cloud? If so...

It's been a while since I worked at a public OpenStack cloud, but most
I would imagine will auto create a tenant network and router (if they
can afford the public IPv4s for the router :)) and then when a user
creates an instance it just ends up on that initial "default" tenant
network. This is usually left to the public cloud to implement during
their customer on-boarding process. That is assuming the public cloud
is allowing tenant "private" networks, which not all would do. There
are other models.

Now, a load balancer, if that is required, is different and bit harder
if you mean one that is managed by the OpenStack cloud, as opposed to
a user creating their own LB instance.

Perhaps what you are really thinking about is the simplicity of a more
"VPS" like interface, ala Digital Ocean (and now somewhat mimicked by
AWS with uh, LightSail I think). I've always thought it would perhaps
be a nice project in OpenStack to do a simple VPS style interface.

Thanks,
Curtis.

> One of the obvious ones is nova and glance, and the API and usage there
> feels pretty straightforward as is (isn't really relevant to this
> conversation anyway). The one that feels bulky and confusing (at least for
> me) is the things I'd have to do in neutron to create and/or select
> networks, create and/or select subnets, create and/or select ports and
> so-on...
>
> As a supposed iphone developer (dev/ops, yadayada) just trying to get
> his/her game to market why would I really want to know about selecting
> networks, create and/or selecting subnets, create and/or selecting ports and
> so-on...
>
> It may just be how it is, but I'd like to at least ask if others are really
> happy with the interactions/steps (I guess we could/maybe we should ask
> similar questions around various other projects as well?); if I'm just an
> outlier that's ok, at least I asked :-P
>
> -Josh

Blog: serverascode.com