[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Unable to add new metrics using meters.yaml

Srikanth Vavilapalli srikanth.vavilapalli at ericsson.com
Thu Jan 12 02:01:43 UTC 2017

Hi

I was following the instructions @ http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide/telemetry-data-collection.html#meter-definitions to add new meters to Ceilometer, but not able to make it work.

I verified meters.yaml file in meter/data folder:

ubuntu at mysite-ceilometer-3:/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ceilometer/meter/data$ ls
meters.yaml

I add the following new meter to the end of that file:

  - name: $.payload.name
    event_type: 'cord.dns.cache.size'
    type: 'gauge'
    unit: 'entries'
    volume: $.payload.cache_size
    user_id: $.payload.user_id
    project_id: $.payload.project_id
    resource_id: '"cord-" + $.payload.base_id'

When I inject 'cord.dns.cache.size' metric from a sample publisher to rabbitmq server (@ exchange 'openstack') on which the ceilometer notification agents are listening, I don't see these metrics appearing in 'ceilometer meter-list' output. Can any one plz let me know if I missing any config or change that prevents custom meter processing in Ceilometer?

Appreciate ur inputs.

Thanks
Srikanth