[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Which service is using port 8778?

Andy McCrae andy.mccrae at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:00:50 UTC 2017

Sorry to resurrect a few weeks old thread, but I had a few questions.

> Yes, we should stop with the magic ports. Part of the reason of
> switching over to apache was to alleviate all of that.
>
>         -Sean

Is this for devstack specifically?
I can see the motivation for Devstack, since it reduces the concern for
managing port allocations.

Is the idea that we move away from ports and everything is on 80 with a
VHost to differentiate between services/endpoints?

It seems to me that it would still be good to have a "designated" (and
unique - or as unique as possible at least within OpenStack) port for
services. We may not have all services on the same hosts, for example,
using a single VIP for load balancing. The issue then is that it becomes
hard to differentiate the LB pool based on the request.
I.e. How would i differentiate between Horizon requests and requests for
any other service on port 80, the VIP is the same, but the backends may be
completely different (so all requests aren't handled by the same Apache
server).

Assuming, in that case, having a designated port is the only way (and if it
isn't I'd love to discuss alternate, and simpler, methods of achieving
this) it then seems that assigning a dedicated port for services in
Devstack would make sense - it would ensure that there is no overlap, and
in a way the error received when the ports overlapped is a genuine issue
that would need to be addressed. Although if that is the case, perhaps
there is a better way to manage that.

Essentially it seems better to handle port conflicts (within the OpenStack
ecosystem, at least) at source rather than pass that on to the deployer to
randomly pick ports and avoid conflicts.

Andy