[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Adding new deliverables

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 5 18:12:05 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Sam Yaple's message of 2017-01-05 17:02:35 +0000:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>
> > On 2017-01-05 16:46:36 +0000 (+0000), Sam Yaple wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I do feel this is slightly different than whats described. Since it is
> > not
> > > unrelated services, but rather, for lack of a better word, competing
> > > services. To my knowledge infra doesn't have several service doing the
> > same
> > > job with different core teams (though I could be wrong).
> >
> > True, though I do find it an interesting point of view that helping
> > Kolla support multiple and diverse configuration management and
> > automation ecosystems is a "competition" rather than merely
> > extending the breadth of the project as a whole.
> >

> Yea I computer good, but I am no wordsmith. Perhaps 'friendly rivalry'? I
> expect these different deploy tools to bring new techniques that can then
> be reapplied to kolla-ansible and kolla-kubernetes to help out everyone.

I'm still curious to understand why, if the teams building those
different things have little or no overlap in membership, they need to
be part of "kolla" and not just part of the larger OpenStack? Why build
a separate project hierarchy instead of keeping things flat?

Do I misunderstand the situation?

Doug