[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Adding new deliverables

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Thu Jan 5 18:10:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Michał Jastrzębski <inc007 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Ad kolla-ansible core team +2ing new deliverable,I agree with Sam,
> > there is no reason in my mind for kolla-ansible/k8s core team to vote
> > on accepting new deliverable. I think this should be lightweight and
> > easy, we should allow experimentation (after all, kolla itself went
> > through few fail iterations before ansible).
> >
> > Ad disconnect, I think we all are interested in other orch tools more
> > or less, but it's more about "who should allow new one to be added",
> > and that requires more than interest as might potentially block adding
> > new deliverable. Avoiding this disconnect is exactly why I'd like to
> > keep all deliverable team under one Kolla umbrealla, keep everyone in
> > same community so they can make use of each others experience (that
> > would also mean, that kolla-puppet is what I'd like to see rather than
> > puppet-kolla:)).
> >

> I mean it depends on what a proposed 'kolla-puppet' does.  If it's
> like puppet-tripleo, which falls under the TripleO umbrella and not
> Puppet OpenStack because it configures more than just a single
> 'openstack' related service then that would make sense.  Since
> puppet-tripleo a way of deploying all things OpenStack it lives in the
> TripleO world.  But I don't necessarily agree that kolla-puppet should
> exist over puppet-kolla if it just configures 'kolla'.  I would like
> to see more cross group collaboration with the deployment tool groups
> and not keeping things to themselves.  As for the intricacies of the
> specific deployment tooling, because we already have patterns and
> plenty of tooling for deploying OpenStack related services in our
> other 40 or so modules I think the Puppet OpenStack community might be
> better suited to provide review feedback than say the Kolla group when
> it comes to puppet specific questions and best practices.  And
> speaking as the Puppet PTL there would not be anything stopping us
> from having Kolla cores also be cores on puppet-kolla.

These are good points. I don't know which way I lean on this subject at the
moment. But I would mention that kolla-ansible doesn't exist under
openstack-ansible-kolla. And kolla-salt (should that become a thing) isn't
openstack-salt-kolla.

Just because there is an openstack project that uses a orchestration tool
doesn't mean only one such project can exist. Nor that all approaches would
be the same, even if the end goal is the same (deploy openstack).

So I am going to remain neutral on this point and say what you are saying
is reasonable, though on the other hand it may not be compatible in some
situations.

Thanks,
SamYaple

I think its important to focus on the sense of OpenStack community