[openstack-dev] [all][release] new version of reno coming soon

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Feb 28 20:03:40 UTC 2017

As some of you already know, I have been putting off releasing a
new version of reno until after the Ocata final release was tagged.
Now that Ocata is done and we're all back from the PTG, I've proposed
a version 2.1.0 in [1].

As described in the reno release notes [2], this new release changes the
way reno decides what releases are part of a given series. Under
older versions, reno would start at the tip of a branch and work all
the way back to the root of the git tree. That was changed in a recent
release to try to determine the "previous version" of the project, based
on tags. The logic for doing that was messy and buggy, and has been
replaced in 2.1.0 with logic that looks for the base of the previous
branch. The result is that when producing the notes for stable/ocata,
reno stops when it gets to the point where stable/newton was branched,
which is more like what we expect to see.

I verified the builds for a few representative projects (nova,
neutron, and ironic) and they match what I expect.  All project
release notes will be rebuilt after the reno version is updated in the
upper-constraints.txt file *and* a patch lands in the project repository
(the local patch triggers the rebuild).

We haven't actually released reno 2.1.0, yet, but I expect that to
happen in the next 24 hours or so. The constraint update will then take
a little more time to land, and then we should start seeing the new
version in builds. I wanted to give everyone a heads-up before that
happens, in case there's an issue with a build.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439111
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/developer/reno/history.html#mainline