[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Pike PTG recap - quotas

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:18:34 UTC 2017

We talked about a few things related to quotas at the PTG, some in
cross-project sessions earlier in the week and then some on Wednesday
morning in the Nova room. The full etherpad is here [1].

Counting quotas
---------------

Melanie hit a problem with the counting quotas work in Ocata with
respect to how to handle quotas when the cell that an instance is
running in is down. The proposed solution is to track project/user ID
information in the "allocations" table in the Placement service so that
we can get allocation information for quota usage from Placement rather
than the cell. That should be a relatively simple change to move this
forward and hopefully get the counting quotas patches merged by p-1 so
we have plenty of burn-in time for the new quotas code.

Centralizing limits in Keystone
-------------------------------

This actually came up mostly during the hierarchical quotas discussion
on Tuesday which was a cross-project session. The etherpad for that is
here [2]. The idea here is that Keystone already knows about the project
hierarchy and can be a central location for resource limits so that the
various projects, like nova and cinder, don't have to have a similar
data model and API for limits, we can just make that common in Keystone.
The other projects would still track resource usage and calculate when a
request is over the limit, but the hope is that the calculation and
enforcement can be generalized so we don't have to implement the same
thing in all of the projects for calculating when something is over quota.

There is quite a bit of detail in the nova etherpad [1] about
overbooking and enforcement modes, which will need to be brought up as
options in a spec and then projects can sort out what makes the most
sense (there might be multiple enforcement models available).

We still have to figure out the data migration plan to get limits data
from each project into Keystone, and what the API in Keystone is going
to look like, including what this looks like when you have multiple
compute endpoints in the service catalog, or regions, for example.

Sean Dague was going to start working on the spec for this.

Hierarchical quota support
--------------------------

The notes on hierarchical quota support are already in [1] and [2]. We
agreed to not try and support hierarchical quotas in Nova until we were
using limits from Keystone so that we can avoid the complexity of both
systems (limits from Nova and limits from Keystone) in the same API
code. We also agreed to not block the counting quotas work that melwitt
is doing since that's already valuable on its own. It's also fair to say
that hierarchical quota support in Nova is a Queens item at the earliest
given we have to get limits stored in Keystone in Pike first.

Dealing with the os-qouta-class-sets API

I had a spec [3] proposing to cleanup some issues with the
os-quota-class-sets API in Nova. We agreed that rather than spend time
fixing the latent issues in that API, we'd just invest that time in
storing and getting limits from Keystone, after which we'll revisit
deprecating the quota classes API in Nova.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-pike-quotas
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ptg-hierarchical-quotas
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411035/

Matt Riedemann