[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Alternative approaches for L3 HA

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Wed Feb 22 16:28:40 UTC 2017

Kosnik, Lubosz <lubosz.kosnik at intel.com> wrote:
> About success of RDO we need to remember that this deployment utilizes Peacemaker and when I was working on this feature and even I spoke with Assaf this external application was doing everything to make this solution working.
> Peacemaker was responsible for checking external and internal connectivity. To detect split brain. Elect master, even keepalived was running but Peacemaker was automatically killing all services and moving FIP.
> Assaf - is there any change in this implementation in RDO? Or you’re still doing everything outside of Neutron?
>
> Because if RDO success is build on Peacemaker it means that yes, Neutron needs some solution which will be available for more than RH deployments.

Agreed.

With help from others, I have started an analysis of some of the
different approaches to L3 HA:

    https://ethercalc.openstack.org/Pike-Neutron-L3-HA

(although I take responsibility for all mistakes ;-)

It would be great if someone from RH or RDO could provide information
on how this RDO (and/or RH OSP?) solution based on Pacemaker +
keepalived works - if so, I volunteer to:

  - help populate column E of the above sheet so that we can
    understand if there are still remaining gaps in the solution, and

  - document it (e.g. in the HA guide).  Even if this only ended up
    being considered as a shorter-term solution, I think it's still
    worth documenting so that it's another option available to
    everyone.

Thanks!