[openstack-dev] [kolla] PTG Day #1 Webex remote participation

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Feb 19 00:11:16 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-18 15:46:19 +0000 (+0000), Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
[...]
> In the past the foundation has been wary of enabling remote
> participation.
[...]

Only wary because of prior experience: Cisco donated Webex service
and dedicated remote production staff for us throughout the Havana
design summit in Portland, OR. As one of the volunteers who agreed
to monitor the local systems, I can say that it was a suboptimal
solution at best. Supplied laptops acting as the "presenter"
consoles crashed/hung repeatedly, slight instabilities in conference
networking were a major impediment to streaming, omnidirectional
microphones placed throughout the conference rooms still failed to
pick up much of the conversation, and for those who did attempt to
participate remotely we heard numerous complaints about how they
couldn't follow heated discussions with dozens of participants in a
room together.
--
Jeremy Stanley