[openstack-dev] [octavia][sdk] service name for octavia

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 02:23:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Qiming Teng <tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> When reviewing a recent patch that adds openstacksdk support to octavia,
> I found that octavia is using 'octavia' as its service name instead of
> 'loadbalancing' or 'loadbalancingv2' or something similar.

The service name is actually irrelevant from a technical point of
view. It is maintained for deployer configuration and is often used
just for branding purposes.  It is the service type that should
uniquely identify a service in the catalog.

> The overall suggestion is to use a word/phrase that indicates what a
> service do instead of the name of the project providing that service.

Correct, this is the service type.

> [2] Octavia service naming:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/octavia/tree/devstack/plugin.sh#n52

This points to Octavia's DevStack plugin configuration, which is by no
means authoritative.

There was a beginning of a service catalog type registry [3] that has
not gone beyond an initial proposal.  Sean Dague recently revived this
and I believe it will be discussed next week at the PTG.

dt

[3] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/service-types-authority

--

Dean Troyer