[openstack-dev] [octavia][sdk] service name for octavia

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 15 01:08:31 UTC 2017

When reviewing a recent patch that adds openstacksdk support to octavia,
I found that octavia is using 'octavia' as its service name instead of
'loadbalancing' or 'loadbalancingv2' or something similar.

The overall suggestion is to use a word/phrase that indicates what a
service do instead of the name of the project providing that service.

Below is the list of the service types currently supported by
openstacksdk:

    'alarming',    # aodh
    'baremetal',   # ironic
    'clustering',  # senlin
    'compute',     # nova
    'database',    # trove
    'identity',    # keystone
    'image',       # glance
    'key-manager', # barbican
    'messaging',   # zaqar
    'metering',    # ceilometer
    'network',     # neutron
    'object-store',   # swift
    'octavia',        # <--- this is an exception
    'orchestration',  # heat
    'volume',         # cinder
    'workflowv2',     # mistral

While I believe this has been discussed about a year ago, I'm not sure
if there are things we missed so I'm brining this issue to a broader
audience for discussion.

Reference:

[1] Patch to python-openstacksdk:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428414