[openstack-dev] [tc][glance][glare][all] glance/glare/artifacts/images at the PTG

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:23:19 UTC 2017

Hello!

Let me quickly describe my vision of the problem. I asked this question to
Brian last Friday, because it is evident that the projects have the
intersection in functionality. For this reason, I proposed to bring Glare
back and develop it as a new generation of Glance service. Perhaps such a
solution would be more correct from my point of view.

Moving away from Glance, let me remind you why we created Glare service.

Almost every project works with some binary data and must store it
somewhere, and almost always storage itself is not the part of the
project's mission. This issue has often been neglected. For this reason
there is no single recommended method for storing of binary data, which
would have a unified public api and hide all the things of the internal
storage infrastructure.

These questions were answered by Glare. First of all, the service allows to
use different storages for various types of artifacts - an operator can
assign the storage of large files, such as virtual machine images, to
Swift, and for relatively small ones, such as Heat templates, use a mysql
database.

Then, we have to admit that data tends to change, so we added a versioning
of artifacts and dependencies between them, that the user was convenient to
take the data of required version.

Often a "binary data" refers to more than one specific object, but a whole
lot of files. Therefore, we have implemented the ability to create
arbitrary nested folders per one artifact and store multiple files there.
And for sure users can receive any file with a single API request.

For validation and conversion of uploaded data Glare introduces the concept
of hooks for the operation. Thus the operator can extend the basic
functionality of the system and add integration with third-party systems
for each artifact type. For example, for Nokia we implemented integration
with custom TOSCA validator.

This is just a small overview of the key features of the service. For sure,
at the moment Glare is able to do all that Glance can do (except maybe a
sharing of artifacts), on the other hand we have added a number of new
features, that were requested by cloud operators for a long time.

Fyi, now we in Nokia are preparing additional API, which corresponds to the
ETSI VNF Packaging Specification [1]. So support of Image v2 API is not an
impossible task, and we may implement it as an alternative way of
interaction with "Images" artifact type. In this case Nova and other
services using Glance are absolutely indifferent to what service provides
Image API.

All tasks related to documentation and packaging are solvable. We’re
working on them together with Nokia, so I can assure you that the documents
and packages will be available this spring. The same story is for Ansible
and Puppet.

Now back again to our question. What I'd like is that Glare will receive
due recognition. Doing a project on the outskirts of OpenStack is not I
really want to. Therefore, it would be nice to develop Glare as a natural
evolution of Glance, associated with the requirements of operators and the
market in general. For Glance team is a good chance to try something new
and interesting, and of course gain new experience.

I am ready to discuss all these questions in this thread, and at PTG, as
long as necessary.

Best,

Mike

[1]