[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 11

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:51:13 UTC 2017

> Your regular reporter, Chris Dent, is on PTO today, so I'm filling in.
> I'll be brief.
>
> After the flurry of activity to get as much in before the Ocata RCs, this
> past week was relatively calm. Work continued on the patch to have Ironic
> resources tracked as, well, individual entities instead of pseudo-VMs, and
> with a little more clarity, should be ready to merge soon.
>
>         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/404472/
>
> The patch series to add the concept of nested resource providers is moving
> forward a bit more slowly. Nested RPs allow for modeling of complex
> resources, such as a compute node that contains PCI devices, each of which
> has multiple physical and virtual functions. The series starts here:
>
>         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/415920/
>
> We largely ignored traits, which represent the qualitative part of a
> resource, and focused on the quantitative side during Ocata. With Pike
> development now open, we look to begin discussing and developing the traits
> work in more detail. The spec for traits is here:
>
>         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345138/
>
> …and the series of POC code starts with:
>
>         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377381/9

Ed, thanks for summary! I will add comments for the PoC. I hope that can
help people to understand what is about easily:

The first patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377381/9 is about
os_traits library, that is clone from
https://github.com/jaypipes/os-traits which
created by Jay. I just put it in the nova tree for implement the PoC.

The Traits API starts from the second patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/376198/  and the last one is
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/376202. It is all about the data model and
the API implement. The new added API endpoints are '/traits' and
'/resource_providers/{rp_uuid}/traits'.

The client of Traits API is
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/417288. It implements that the
ResourceTracker reports the CPU features as traits to the placement service
by Traits API.

The last one https://review.openstack.org/#/c/429364 is for getting a
specific list resource providers. The patch is based on Sylvain's patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/392569. It adds two new filters
'required_traits' and 'preferred_traits'. Then you can a list of RPs which
match the requirement of resources and traits by the request 'GET
/resource_provider?resources=.....&required_traits=...&preferred_traits=....'.
(The API layer patch will be submitted soon)

Thanks
Alex

We've also begun planning for the discussions at the PTG around what our
goals for Pike will be. I'm sure that there will a summary of those
discussions in one of these emails after the PTG.

-- Ed Leafe