[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 11

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Feb 10 16:10:45 UTC 2017

Your regular reporter, Chris Dent, is on PTO today, so I'm filling in. I'll be brief.

After the flurry of activity to get as much in before the Ocata RCs, this past week was relatively calm. Work continued on the patch to have Ironic resources tracked as, well, individual entities instead of pseudo-VMs, and with a little more clarity, should be ready to merge soon.

	https://review.openstack.org/#/c/404472/

The patch series to add the concept of nested resource providers is moving forward a bit more slowly. Nested RPs allow for modeling of complex resources, such as a compute node that contains PCI devices, each of which has multiple physical and virtual functions. The series starts here:

	https://review.openstack.org/#/c/415920/

We largely ignored traits, which represent the qualitative part of a resource, and focused on the quantitative side during Ocata. With Pike development now open, we look to begin discussing and developing the traits work in more detail. The spec for traits is here:

	https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345138/

…and the series of POC code starts with:

	https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377381/9

We've also begun planning for the discussions at the PTG around what our goals for Pike will be. I'm sure that there will a summary of those discussions in one of these emails after the PTG.

-- Ed Leafe