[openstack-dev] [designate] Status of the project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 10 20:49:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-10 17:47:50 +0000 (+0000), Hayes, Graham wrote:
[...]
> I am struggling to think of even one) multi tenant DNS management
> APIs.
[...]

I ran http://www.nictool.com/ at a service provider years ago,
selected specifically because it's a multi-tenant (or at least could
be made reasonably so via RBAC) authoritative DNS manglement
frontend with a usable API. The AGPL license on it would probably
make it unsuitable for a lot of our downstream ecosystem however.

If anything, I see that (and the struggle I went through back then
to find anything remotely close to fitting that use case) as an
explanation for why Designate exists. There just isn't a lot out
there focused on this problem space except what random service
providers have written in-house, and the vast majority of them never
see the light of (free software) day.
--
Jeremy Stanley