[openstack-dev] [infra] [gate] [all] openstack services footprint lead to oom-kill in the gate

Mikhail Medvedev mihailmed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:47:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2017-02-02 04:27:51 +0000 (+0000), Dolph Mathews wrote:
>> What made most services jump +20% between mitaka and newton? Maybe there is
>> a common cause that we can tackle.
> [...]
>
> Almost hesitant to suggest this one but since we primarily use
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for stable/mitaka jobs and 16.04 LTS for later
> branches, could bloat in a newer release of the Python 2.7
> interpreter there (or something even lower-level still like glibc)
> be a contributing factor?

In our third-party CI (IBM KVM on Power) we run both stable/mitaka and
master on Ubuntu Xenial. I went ahead and plotted dstat graphs, see
http://dal05.objectstorage.softlayer.net/v1/AUTH_3d8e6ecb-f597-448c-8ec2-164e9f710dd6/pkvmci/dstat20170202/
. It does look like there is some difference in overall memory use -
mitaka uses a bit less. This is anecdotal, but still is an extra data
point. Also note that we have 12G of ram, and we do not see oom kills.