[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer][postgresql][gate][telemetry] PostgreSQL gate failure (again)

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Feb 1 14:07:25 UTC 2017

Hi there,

So the Ceilometer gate has been broken again by Nova today because of a
SQL bug in the placement API with PostgreSQL. This is the second time
that something like that happened: last November¹, we also reported a
bug in Nova wrt PostgreSQL.

Fortunately, Mehdi investigated and sent a fix:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427667/

So the issue is going to be resolved soon. I had hope this would not
happen again, but it seems Nova does not care about PostgreSQL since
August².

I think I can understand that Nova does not want to support PostgreSQL
and therefore does not use it in the gate, however, I don't think it's a
rich idea to have other projects (e.g. Ceilometer) doing the gate check
for Nova.

My questions are simple and can be organized in a tree:

           Does Nova want to support PostgreSQL?
                 /                      \
               Yes                      No
   Why is there no gate?         Ok, we'll have to remove the
                                 PostgreSQL job in Ceilometer

Thanks!

¹  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-November/107907.html

²  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-August/101892.html