[openstack-dev] Let's drop the postgresql gate job

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 18 15:00:45 UTC 2016

It's that time of year again to talk about killing this job, at least
from the integrated gate (move it to experimental for people that care
about postgresql, or make it gating on a smaller subset of projects like
oslo.db).

The postgresql job used to have three interesting things about it:

1. It ran keystone with eventlet (which is no longer a thing).
2. It runs the n-api-meta service rather than using config drive.
3. It uses postgresql for the database.

So #1 is gone, and for #3, according to the April 2016 user survey (page
40) [1], 4% of reporting deployments are using it in production.

I don't think we're running n-api-meta in any other integrated gate
jobs, but I'm pretty sure there is at least one neutron job out there
that's running with it that way. We could also consider making the
nova-net dsvm full gate job run n-api-meta, or vice-versa with the
neutron dsvm full gate job.

We also have to consider that with HP public cloud being gone as a node
provider and we've got fewer test nodes to run with, we have to make
tough decisions about which jobs we're going to run in the integrated gate.

I'm bringing this up again because Nova has a few more jobs it would
like to make voting on it's repo (neutron LB and live migration, at
least in the check queue) but there are concerns about adding yet more
jobs that each change has to get through before it's merged, which means
if anything goes wrong in any of those we can have a 24 hour turnaround
on getting an approved change back through the gate.

[1]
https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/April-2016-User-Survey-Report.pdf

Matt Riedemann