[openstack-dev] [release][PTL] Cycle highlights reminder

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Dec 14 20:24:19 UTC 2017

Hey all,

As we get closer to Queens-3 and our final RCs, I wanted to remind everyone
about the new 'cycle-highlights' we have added to our deliverable info.

Background
----------

As a reminder on the background, we were finding that a lot of PTLs were
getting pings several times at the end of every release cycle by various folks
asking for highlights of what was new and what significant changes were coming
in the new release. It was often the same answer to journalists, product
managers, and others that needed to compile that info.

To try to mitigate that somewhat, we've built in the ability to capture these
highlights as part of the release. It get compiled and published to the web
site so we have one place to point these folks to. It is intended as a place
where they can get the basic info they need, not as a complete marketing
message.

As you prepare for upcoming releases, please start to consider what you might
want to show up in this collection. We ideally want just a few highlights,
probably no more than 3 or 4 in most cases, from each project team.

Usage
-----

This is done by adding some information to deliverables/queens/$PROJECT.yaml
in the openstack/releases repo similar to this:

   cycle-highlights:
     - Introduced new service to use unused host to mine bitcoin.

The formatting options for this tag are the same as what you are probably used
to with Reno release notes.

You can check on the formatting of the output by either running locally:

   tox -e docs

And checking the resulting file under doc/build/html/queens/highlights.html, or
you can view the output of the build-openstack-sphinx-docs job under
html/queens/highlights.html.

Ongoing
-------

We now have three different places that document activities for three different
audiences:

Commit messages:  Developer documentation
Release notes:    End user and deployer documentation
Cycle highlights: Journalists, product manager, and others

This will be the first release cycle with this last data source. It is our hope
that this will ease some of the burden for this information from the PTLs. If
you still get requests, please try to direct them here to spread awareness.

Thanks!

--
Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)