[openstack-dev] [all] Switching to longer development cycles

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Dec 13 17:16:35 UTC 2017

Hey

On 13 December 2017 at 17:12, Jimmy McArthur <jimmy at openstack.org> wrote:

> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> - It doesn't mean that teams can only meet in-person once a year.
>> Summits would still provide a venue for team members to have an
>> in-person meeting. I also expect a revival of the team-organized
>> midcycles to replace the second PTG for teams that need or want to meet
>> more often.
>>
> The PTG seems to allow greater coordination between groups. I worry that
> going back to an optional mid-cycle would reduce this cross-collaboration,
> while also reducing project face-to-face time.

I can't speak for the Foundation, but I would think it would be good to
have an official PTG in the middle of the cycle (perhaps neatly aligned
with some kind of milestone/event) that lets people discuss plans for
finishing off the release, and early work they want to get started on for
the subsequent release). The problem with team-organised midcycles (as I'm
sure everyone remembers), is that there's little/no opportunity for
cross-project work.

--
Cheers,

Chris