[openstack-dev] [docs] Updating the docs team mission statement

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Thu Aug 31 11:09:38 UTC 2017

I have updated the mission statement as per Thierry’s suggestion (thank you, I liked that a lot!)

See the review here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499556/

It is currently in WIP. Petr and I agree that the best place to discuss this will be at the PTG.

On 8/22/17, 5:34 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

    Excerpts from Jay S Bryant's message of 2017-08-22 11:06:37 -0500:

    > On 8/22/2017 7:30 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
    > > Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-08-08 08:11:25 -0400:
    > >> Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-08-08 12:28:58 +0200:

    > >> Thanks for starting this thread, Petr.
    > >>
    > >> To make it easier to compare, here's the current mission statement:
    > >>
    > >>    Provide documentation for core OpenStack projects to promote
    > >>    OpenStack.  Develop and maintain tools and processes to ensure
    > >>    quality, accurate documentation. Treat documentation like OpenStack
    > >>    code.
    > >>
    > >> Thierry's suggestion highlights some of the changes I see coming
    > >> for the docs team. I would like to hear from some of the other team
    > >> members about what they think about that.
    > >>
    > >> Doug
    > > This thread died out, but I think it's important that we make some
    > > progress on the discussion before the PTG because the outcome is
    > > going to influence the work we do there.
    > >
    > > One way we could approach it is to make a list of all of the things
    > > that the team is currently doing (or has been doing, up to Pike)
    > > and then review that list to consider which of those things, if the
    > > team was not already doing them, you would be willing to start doing
    > > today.  That should establish a pattern for the types of tasks and
    > > initiatives the team thinks it can manage, and help us focus the
    > > mission statement.
    > >
    > > So, what does the docs team "do" or "make" today?
    > >
    > > Doug

    > Doug,
    >
    > I think this is a good idea.  Rather than writing a mission statement
    > and try to get what we do to fit it, we should look at what everyone is
    > doing and can do and then work to craft the statement from that.
    >
    > One important part in the process, however, would be to look at how that
    > compares to what was previously being done and make sure that there
    > aren't gaps.  It is an opportunity to make sure we don't let anything
    > slip through the cracks.
    >
    > Jay

    It's also an opportunity to identify things that should be dropped, or
    moved to another team. But yes, let's start by understanding what's
    actually happening today.

    Doug