[openstack-dev] [docs] Updating the docs team mission statement

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:38:26 UTC 2017

On 8/22/2017 11:33 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Jay S Bryant's message of 2017-08-22 11:06:37 -0500:
>> On 8/22/2017 7:30 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-08-08 08:11:25 -0400:

>>> This thread died out, but I think it's important that we make some
>>> progress on the discussion before the PTG because the outcome is
>>> going to influence the work we do there.
>>>
>>> One way we could approach it is to make a list of all of the things
>>> that the team is currently doing (or has been doing, up to Pike)
>>> and then review that list to consider which of those things, if the
>>> team was not already doing them, you would be willing to start doing
>>> today.  That should establish a pattern for the types of tasks and
>>> initiatives the team thinks it can manage, and help us focus the
>>> mission statement.
>>>
>>> So, what does the docs team "do" or "make" today?
>>>
>>> Doug

>> Doug,
>>
>> I think this is a good idea.  Rather than writing a mission statement
>> and try to get what we do to fit it, we should look at what everyone is
>> doing and can do and then work to craft the statement from that.
>>
>> One important part in the process, however, would be to look at how that
>> compares to what was previously being done and make sure that there
>> aren't gaps.  It is an opportunity to make sure we don't let anything
>> slip through the cracks.
>>
>> Jay
>>
> It's also an opportunity to identify things that should be dropped, or
> moved to another team. But yes, let's start by understanding what's
> actually happening today.
>
> Doug

Doug,

Good point.  There are also things that can be dropped and will have to
be dropped given the changes in resources.  It will need to be a
thoughtful look at all the pieces.

It will also be important as we look at what needs to be dropped from
the core team that it is communicated to the project teams what they are
expected to pick up.  I have been figuring that out as I have been going
and can try to help there but I am not sure that all the projects have
been as active there.

Jay