[openstack-dev] [ironic-drac-driver]does drac-driver only support 11th or 12th generation of Dell PowerEdge servers?

Richard.Pioso at dell.com Richard.Pioso at dell.com
Fri Aug 25 19:39:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

I took a look at the Dell PowerEdge R370xd Rack Server web page, http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/povw/poweredge-r730xd.  It states that Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (W2K8 R2) is supported.

From what you described, it sounds like the issue is that W2K8 R2 does not have the device drivers needed for the RAID controller.  I found a Dell OS Driver Pack for W2K8 R2 web page, http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MRW6J&fileId=1943535120&osCode=W12R2&productCode=poweredge-r730xd&languageCode=en&categoryId=DD.  Please note that it states that it does not support W2K8 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1).  A driver pack download is available there.  The installation instructions on that page are a bit involved; you may have to copy the file to a USB driver, plug the USB into the server, boot into the Lifecycle Controller, etc., etc.

In the end, while Dell supports that operating system on that server, it does not look like ironic will unless you can make a QCOW2 image that has the necessary device drivers in it.  I am not sure how exactly to do that.  It might be easier to just go with Microsoft Windows Server 2016, which probably has the necessary drivers, since there is no OS driver pack for that operating system on the Dell support site.

Kind regards,
Rick