[openstack-dev] [python-openstackclient][python-openstacksdk][neutron][nova] supporting resource extensions with our CLI

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:33:22 UTC 2017

On 8/3/2017 1:39 PM, Boden Russell wrote:
> I think we have a gap in our OSC CLI for non-stadium plugin/driver
> projects (neutron plugin projects, nova driver projects) that implement
> RESTful resource API attribute extensions.
>
> For details, go directly to [1].
> For a summary read on...
>

> For OpenStack APIs that support extensions (ex [2]), the classic
> python-<project_name>client CLIs worked "out of the box" for extensions
> adding attributes to existing RESTful resources.
>
> For example, your project has a neutron plugin that adds a 'my_bool'
> boolean attribute to 'network' resources that can be set via POST/PUT
> and is returned with GET. This just works with the python-neutronclient
> CLI without any client-side code changes.
>

> However, with OSC resource attributes must be added directly/statically
> to the sdk's resource and then consumed in the client; the support does
> not come "for free" in the CLI. While this is fine for stadium projects
> (they can contribute directly to the sdk/client), non-stadium projects
> have no viable option to plugin/extend the CLI today for this type of
> API extension mechanism.
>
> With the phasing out of the python clients, a number of our users will
> be left without a CLI to interface with these extensions.
>
> I'd like to try and close this gap in Queens and welcome discussion in [1].
>
> Thanks
>

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstacksdk/+bug/1705755
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronDevelopment#API_Extensions

There is nothing like this for Nova so I'm not sure why Nova should be
involved here. We dropped all support for extending the API via
stevedore extension loading in Pike [1]. The virt drivers don't extend
the REST API either.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/api-no-more-extensions-pike

Matt