[openstack-dev] [python-openstackclient][python-openstacksdk][neutron][nova] supporting resource extensions with our CLI

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:39:41 UTC 2017

I think we have a gap in our OSC CLI for non-stadium plugin/driver
projects (neutron plugin projects, nova driver projects) that implement
RESTful resource API attribute extensions.

For details, go directly to [1].
For a summary read on...

For OpenStack APIs that support extensions (ex [2]), the classic
python-<project_name>client CLIs worked "out of the box" for extensions
adding attributes to existing RESTful resources.

For example, your project has a neutron plugin that adds a 'my_bool'
boolean attribute to 'network' resources that can be set via POST/PUT
and is returned with GET. This just works with the python-neutronclient
CLI without any client-side code changes.

However, with OSC resource attributes must be added directly/statically
to the sdk's resource and then consumed in the client; the support does
not come "for free" in the CLI. While this is fine for stadium projects
(they can contribute directly to the sdk/client), non-stadium projects
have no viable option to plugin/extend the CLI today for this type of
API extension mechanism.

With the phasing out of the python clients, a number of our users will
be left without a CLI to interface with these extensions.

I'd like to try and close this gap in Queens and welcome discussion in [1].

Thanks

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstacksdk/+bug/1705755
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronDevelopment#API_Extensions