[openstack-dev] [nova]notification update week 32

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Aug 7 09:12:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus setting mail about notification work
for week 32.

Bugs
----
[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1696152 nova notifications
use nova-api as binary name instead of nova-osapi_compute
Agreed not to change the binary name in the notifications. Instead we
make an enum for that name to show that the name is intentional.
The patch was split to two parts:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487126 rename binary to source in
versioned notifications
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476538 Use enum value instead of
string service name

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1699115 api.fault
notification is never emitted
Still no response on the ML thread about the way forward.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118639.html

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1706563
TestRPC.test_cleanup_notifier_null fails with timeout
[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1685333 Fatal Python error:
Cannot recover from stack overflow. - in py35 unit test job
The first bug is just a duplicate of the second. It seems the TetRPC
test suite has a way to end up in an infinite recusion.
I don't know about a way to reproduce it localy or to change the gate
env so that python prints out the full stack trace to see where the
problematic call is. Also adding extra log messages won't help as a
timed out test doesn't have the log messages printed to the logs. So
this bug is pretty stuck.

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
Thanks to Matt we have the Queens bp open
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/versioned-notification-transformation-queens
Open patches needs to retargeted to this bp as soon as master is open
for Queens.

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
I opened a follow up bp for Queens:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight-queens
I left it in drafting state as I expect the Searchlight team to come
back with some feedback and / or extra needs.

Small improvements
------------------
These improvements are test and doc generation only so probably not
affected by the FF.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428199/ Improve assertJsonEqual
error reporting.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples
Factor out duplicated notification sample data
This is a start of a longer patch series to deduplicate notification
sample data. The third patch already shows how much sample data can be
deleted from nova tree. We added a minimal hand rolled json ref
implementation to notification sample test as the existing python json
ref implementations are not well maintained.

Weekly meeting
As nothing important is going on right now in the subteam so I'm
planning to not having a meeting this week either. Please disagree in a
reply if you have items to discuss.

Cheers,
gibi