[openstack-dev] [election][glance] Queens PTL candidacy

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 03:15:26 UTC 2017

I just submitted https://review.openstack.org/#/c/489834/ , which
announces my candidacy as Glance PTL for the Queens cycle.  This is
what it says:

Hello everyone,

I'm asking for the opportunity to continue to serve as the PTL of
Glance into the Queens cycle.

Things looked good for Glance at the start of Pike.  We had a strong
set of active cores, and discussed plans at the PTG for recruiting
more developers to the team through holding bugsmash events and
developing a more organized approach to triaging bugs to a point where
they could be worked on by developers not yet experienced in working
with Glance.  We were interested in attracting new talent because we
had recently lost our team:diverse-affiliation tag [0] which was a
warning that Glance had become too reliant on two companies.  And in
fact when those companies decided to change direction early in the
cycle, the impact on Glance was devastating.  However, due to the hard
work of those who remained and developers from the wider community who
pitched in [1], we were able to complete a revised list of priorities
for Pike and did not require any kind of drastic intervention (such as
going into maintenance mode, which looked like a real possibility in
April).  And, on the plus side, we'll definitely be receiving the
team:diverse-affiliation tag the next time it's assessed.

The point of mentioning the above history is that I'd like to continue
the reorganization and recruitment work we'd discussed at the
beginning of Pike, which should improve the project's health for the
Rocky PTL, who will most likely not be me.  Or at least there's no
reason why it should be me, as some of my goals for Queens are to help
grow the Glance community and help any Glancer who's interested
(hopefully, more than one) get themselves into a position to become an
effective PTL.

So that's the general nature of what I think we should focus on in
Queens.  There are a few specifics that I should probably mention:

* Image import continued -- thanks to Erno's hard work, a minimal
viable product of image import has landed in Pike.  There are a few
obvious Glance-side improvements we can make, but at Pike RC-1 time, I
plan to notify operators that the MVP of image import is available,
they should look it over, and give us feedback on what enhancements
are necessary, and think about how they can direct development
resources to Glance to make those changes happen.

* Rolling upgrades -- we released zero-downtime upgrades as an
experimental feature in Ocata, but further work planned for Pike
(primarily, in-gate testing of upgrades) did not happen.  It's
important to get this completed in Queens.

* Operator communication -- the popular operator surveys that we were
using to gather usage information about Glance were another casuality
of the personnel situation in Pike; I'd like to get those going again.

Additionally, there are some small worthwhile features among the
untargeted approved specs that would be nice to land, and new specs
are already showing up in the Queens directory.  And of course Glance
will participate in the Queens community goals.  We'll sort out the
priorities at the PTG [2].

Finally, there's been some discussion on the ML about whether Glance
has outlived its usefulness and should be replaced [3,4].  I'm willing
to discuss that at the PTG, but as you can tell from the fact that I
listed it last, I think there's still a role for Glance in the Queens
cycle.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your consideration,
brian

[0] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/commit/?id=c0359e95153c3d3688d4ef6902a058204913a87a
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-tc/2017-July/001444.html
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/glance-queens-ptg-planning