[openstack-dev] [glance][ironic][octavia] oslo.config 4.0 will break projects' unit test

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 20:51:13 UTC 2017

Thank you ChangBo, I have resolved the issues in octavia in this patch: https://review.openstack.org/457356 up for review.

Michael

From: ChangBo Guo [mailto:glongwave at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:32 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions) <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [glance][ironic][octavia] oslo.config 4.0 will break projects' unit test

As I expect, there are some failures in periodic tasks recently [1] if we set enforce_type with True by default,  we'd better fix them before we release oslo.config 4.0.  Some guys had been working on this :
Nova: https://review.openstack.org/455534 should fix failures

tempest:  https://review.openstack.org/456445 fixed

Keystone:  https://review.openstack.org/455391 wait for oslo.config 4.0

We still need help from Glance/Ironic/Octavia

Glance:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455522/ need review

Ironic:  Need fix failure in http://logs.openstack.org/periodic/periodic-ironic-py27-with-oslo-master/680abfe/testr_results.html.gz
Octavia: Need fix failure in http://logs.openstack.org/periodic/periodic-octavia-py35-with-oslo-master/80fee03/testr_results.html.gz

[1] http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/#/?groupKey=build_name <http://status.openstack.org/openstack-health/#/?groupKey=build_name&resolutionKey=hour&searchProject=-with-oslo> &resolutionKey=hour&searchProject=-with-oslo

Hi ALL,

oslo_config provides method CONF.set_override[1] , developers usually use it to change config option's value in tests. That's convenient . By default  parameter enforce_type=False,  it doesn't check any type or value of override. If set enforce_type=True , will check parameter override's type and value.  In production code(running time code),  oslo_config  always checks  config option's value. In short, we test and run code in different ways. so there's  gap:  config option with wrong type or invalid value can pass tests when

parameter enforce_type = False in consuming projects.  that means some invalid or wrong tests are in our code base.

We began to warn user about the change since Sep, 2016 in [2]. This change will notify consuming project to write correct test cases with config options.

We would make enforce_type = true by default in [3], that may break some projects' tests, that's also raise wrong unit tests. The failure is easy to fix, which

is recommended.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/oslo.config/blob/efb287a94645b15b634e8c344352696ff85c219f/oslo_config/cfg.py#L2613
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/365476/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/328692