[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Questions for Candidates

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Apr 13 00:43:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 04:19:55PM +0000, Kendall Nelson wrote:
> Hello Candidates!
>
> You all have proven yourselves to be crucial parts of the community and I
> just wanted to say good luck to each one of you in the upcoming election!
>
> Also though, I thought it might be good to ask a few more questions. It's
> easy to talk about what you all want to champion on the TC and about the
> ideal breakdown of how you want to spend your time, but it's much harder to
> answer questions that might highlight some of the daily struggles. So!
> Interview time:
>
> -What is one trait you have that makes it difficult to work in groups like
> the TC and how do you counteract it?

I like to help facilitate to get things done, but to be honest, sometimes when
a particular topic does not interest me I don't spend as much time as I should
digging into the nitty gritty in order to give deeper and more valuable input.

> - What do you see as the biggest roadblock in the upcoming releases for the
> TC?

Having skimmed through some of the other responses, I'm a bit of a broken
record. I think the biggest roadblock is getting contributors and investment
from companies to get the big issues taken care of. I think the TC can have
an impact on encouraging involvement, and the policies we help form will have
a direct impact on that.

There's been some talk of not being influenced too strongly by vendors. I think
we need to turn that around a little though. I think we need to help vendors,
both to get them involved and to help them meet their goals with OpenStack. At
the end of the day, OpenStack investment is most useful to those trying to make
money from using it. If we can help direct their wants into something commonly
beneficial, then it improves OpenStack, it helps the vendors on the business
side, and in return it increases the odds of continued investment in time and
resources towards getting more done.

I'm definitely not saying we should base technical decisions on the demands of
whoever has the biggest bank account. But if we can make it easier in general
for them and be receptive to what they see as priorities, then _where it makes
sense_, we can all benefit.

> And one lighthearted question:
>
> -What is your favorite thing about OpenStack?

Broken record again, but the people are my favorite part of OpenStack as well.
This has been the best community I've been invovled in and have learned so
much for being part of it. If everyone here decided to drop this and go off
to produce a ubiquitous Open Source cat picture platform that is easy to use,
simple to implement, etc., I'd be tempted to join them. :)