[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Questions for Candidates

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Apr 12 19:46:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Kendall Nelson wrote:

> -What is one trait you have that makes it difficult to work in groups like
> the TC and how do you counteract it?

There are many, I'm sure. But one that is frequent and embarrassing
is that I have a serious problem with homophones, contractions (or
word combinations that could be), and apostrophes when typing --
especially in IRC. The worst expression of this is leaving out "not"
in a sentence like "The cow should jump off the cliff" when
actually, I like cows and would prefer they not jump to
they're^wthere^their deaths. As you can imagine this is dire when
trying to state a position or express an opinion in a group like the
TC where stating positions and expressing opinions, in IRC, is a big
chunk of what you do.

As with so many things the method to counteract this is to stop
being so urgent, be conscious, and breathe a bit; it'll keep.

> - What do you see as the biggest roadblock in the upcoming releases for the
> TC?

Like others, I'm concerned about the amount and direction of
corporate interests. We're currently seeing a great deal of interest
and investment from Telcos and the NFV community. This is
simultaneously exciting and concerning. There will be a clash of
cultures that will be both difficult and productive.

> -What is your favorite thing about OpenStack?

You asked this in a lighthearted way, but I feel pretty serious
about this: The thing I like most about OpenStack is that the people
I work with everyday -- the people I regularly call my coworkers
(and friends!) when mentioning them to (other) friends and family --
are not all paid by the same company as me. That is _awesome_.

--
Chris Dent                 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯           https://anticdent.org/