[openstack-dev] [all] Switching gate testing to use Ubuntu Cloud Archive

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Apr 4 17:34:01 UTC 2017

On 04/04/2017 12:05 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> I mentioned that in a meeting today but for greater visibility...
>
> This change in how we gate against LTS raises a question whether what
> we claim in: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/402940/4/reference/project-testing-interface.rst
> is still valid. The wording of the document is such that suggests we
> test against LTS, and with the UCA adoption in gate, that will no
> longer be true. I am not against the change per se, I just want the
> decision to be thought through and advertised to consumers beyond
> tight circle of upstream developers.

Totally - and that's a good point. I think we may just need to update
the wording some. The intent has always been that we develop targetting
the software we think is appropriate for OpenStack- but the LTS line and
testing are to ensure we don't introduce a dependency that's
unreasonably hard to backport on top of an LTS release.

An example of that would be growing a dependency on a kernel feature
that would be too much to backport - or if we had decided to move to
Python3 back in the RHEL6 days (before there was a python3 available)

RDO and UCA are both ways that the distro vendors themselves are
providing backport software on top of their LTS releases. So if it's in
one of those the distro vendor themselves have de-facto communicated
that it's not unreasonable to backport that piece of software to run on
top of the LTS - since they have already done it.

All of that is not spelled out clearly though - so I agree, it would be
potentially useful to describe that situation more clearly in the PTI.