[openstack-dev] [Kolla] Deprecation Policies (related to Heka)

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Sep 29 20:57:15 UTC 2016

Michal,

I didn’t say we had to run two parallel implementations at the same time to be compliant with this project maturity tag.  We have to maintain it in the release for 3 months until we switch to something else if our intent is to switch to something else (at 3 months + 1 picosecond ☺.  Reading into the rationale into this, I believe it is to help out all projects provide a feasible backport mechanism to also be complaint with the follows stable policy project maturity tag.

The fact that Heka is an internal service Kolla uses is not a meaningful argument for avoiding the deprecation policy because operators may rely on our internal infrastructure already (e.g. they built their own containers with heka logging) and need a migration path for what is next.

Operators need time to move to a new component just as Kolla does.

Regards
-steve