[openstack-dev] OpenStack Developer Mailing List Digest September 17-23

Mike Perez mike at openstack.org
Mon Sep 26 19:45:27 UTC 2016

Announcing firehose.openstack.org
=================================
* A MQTT based unified message bus for infra services.
* This allows a single place to go for consuming messages of events from infra
  services.
* Two interfaces for subscribing to topics:
  - MQTT protocol on the default port
  - Websockets over port 80
* Launchpad and gerrit events are the only things currently sending message to
  firehose, but the plan is to expand this.
* An example [1] of gerritbot on the consuming side, which has support for
  subscribing to gerrit event stream over MQTT.
* A spec giving details on firehose [2].
* Docs on firehose [3].
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/103985.html

Release countdown for week R-1, 26-30
=====================================
* Focus: All teams should be working on release-critical bugs before the final
  release.
* General
  - 29th September is the deadline for the new release candidates or release
    from intermediary projects.
  - Quiet period to follow before the last release candidates on 6th October.
* Release actions:
  - Projects not following the milestone-based release model who want
    a stable/newton branch created should talk to the release team.
  - Watch for translation patches and merge them quickly to ensure we have as
    many user-facing strings translated as possible in the release candidates.
    -- If your project has already been branched, make sure those patches are
    applied to the stable branch.
  - Liaisons for projects with independent deliverables should import the
    release history by preparing patches to openstack/release.
* Important Dates:
  - Newton last RC, 29 September
  - Newton final release, 6 October
  - Newton release schedule [4]
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/103252.html

Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt Project Teams From the Big Tent
* The Security and OpenStackSalt projects are without PTLs. Projects leaderless
  default to the Technical Committee for decision of what to do with the
  project [5]. Majority of the Technical Committee has agreed to have these
  projects removed.
* OpenStackSalt is a relatively new addition to the Big Tent, so if they got
  their act together, they could be reproposed.
* We still need to care about security., and we still need a home for the
  vulnerability management team (VMT). The suggested way forward is to have the
  VMT apply to be its own official project team, and have security be a working
  group.
* The Mitaka PTL for the Security mentions missing the election date, but
  provides some things the team has been working on:
  - Issuing Security Notes for Glance, Nova, Horizon, Bandit, Neutron and
    Barbican.
  - Updating the security guide (the book we wrote on securing OpenStack)
  - Hosting a midcycle and inducting new members
  - Supporting the VMT with several embargoed and complex vulnerabilities
  - Building up a security blog
  - Making OpenStack the biggest open source project to ever receive the Core
  - Infrastructure Initiative Best Practices Badge
  - Working on the OpenStack Security Whitepaper
  - Developing CI security tooling such as Bandit
* One of the Technical Committee members privately received information that
  explains why the security PTL was not on top of things. With ~60 teams around
  there will always be one of two that miss, but here we're not sure it passes
  the bar of “non-alignment with the community” that would make the security
  team unfit to be an official OpenStack Team.
* Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/thread.html#104170

[1] - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/gerritbot/commit/?id=7c6e57983d499b16b3fabb864cf3b
[2] - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/firehose.html
[3] - http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/firehose.html